PHP support

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Fri Dec 26 19:56:27 UTC 2008

Am Freitag 26 Dezember 2008 schrieb Niko Sams:
> Hi and merry christmas to all,
>
> > And well, since I'm coming from a webdev background, what could there be
> > better than trying to improve PHP support in kdevelop?
>
> Welcome, we really are in the need of developers :D
> I have the same background and also need it to get php work more efficient
> done. Do you want to improve just Php for KDevelop, or do you also want to
> work on Quanta4?
> (HTML, CSS and JS support would be important missing features)

Once PHP is working I'd love to help out with HTML, CSS and JS as well. Since
I loved Quanta3 it's a no-brainer that I'll help out wherever I can for
Quanta4.

> > 1) Is there a TODO or something similar for the PHP plugin?
>
> Till now I was the only developer and I had a paper-todo-list. I could
> create a wiki page somewhere.

Would be good to get a general idea on where the PHP support stands.

> > 2) Where can I find documentation for KDevelop, the API documentation on
> > api.kde.org seems nonfunctional. KDevplatform works fine though.
>
> what does not work for you?

well http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdevelop-apidocs/ is very limited, but then
again I think I'll only need to know the kdevplatform API so this would be no
issue.

> > Or would I not
> > need any API documentation for KDevelop when extending the PHP plugin
> > (meaning it only implements KDevplatform interfaces)?
>
> KDevelop doesn't have much docs yet - just what is in the code. Most
> of the time you have
> to look at code. But basiclly you just implement platform interfaces
> and use platform classes.

OK, not the easiest way to do things, but lets see how far I come :)

> > 3) There's no PHP project template as of now, I think that could be a
> > great entry-point for me. Again: Where can I documentation about what to
> > implement? Or any other places I should look? There are only KDE-related
> > project templates existing, so I'm not sure whether one of those would be
> > a good starting point for me.
>
> yes, would be useful.
>
> > Also I'd like to introduce a Projectmanager for PHP, at least I hope
> > that's what I'm looking for to achieve the following:
> >        i) no build / clean / prune / install menus [^1]
>
> I think it should not be a own projectmanagerview-plugin for php - instead
> the projectmanagerview-plugin should hide those features for projects that
> don't support them. This would mean the genericprojectmanager-plugin has to
> tell that the projectmanagerview-plugin that it doesn't have any makefile
> support.

So anything I could do right now? Or does the interface API needs work for
that?

> >        ii) provide proper file skeletons for the "create class/file"
> > actions iii) provide proper support for the inheritance stuff in the
> > "create class" dialog.
>
> That would be really great. There is some basic code generation stuff for
> C++ in KDevelop and a few base classes in KDevPlatform. Harmish Rodda has
> done that for C++ and the base classes.

Yes, found that already. Lets hope I can understand it and apply it to PHP.

> >        iv) there is on-the-fly syntax validation it seems (at least
> > judging the console spam ;-)), but it's not shown inside the view yet.
> > Since I've written a little linter plugin for Kwrite, I've some
> > experience on how to visualize this using the KTextEditor interfaces. =>
> > A job for me?
>
> I'm working on that right now.
> KDevPlatfomorm can display "Problems" with its own problemreporter-plugin
> and it is pretty simple to create such problems. So no messing around with
> KTextEditor
> directly :D

Neat :) I'll look into the Create Class/File stuff then.

> > I hope to get some feedback, esp. by Nikolaus Sams and a direction on
> > where to start hacking. I've already an KDE SVN account so could start
> > pushing patches, yet I'd prefer it if they are still reviewed (at least
> > at the beginning, since I'm still new to C++/Qt/KDE). This list? Or
> > Nikolaus Sams only? Or "just commit if it's compilable and daoesn't
> > crash"?
>
> Just commit if you don't see any problems with it - else discuss it on the
> list.

Ok, have added the project template.

Thanks for the answer!

--