Where to populate Version Control entry

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sat Aug 16 20:13:20 UTC 2008

Hi,

I wanted to move the code that populates the "Version Control" context
menu from the individual vcs plugins into a more central place.
Unfortunately I couldn't quite figure out the apropriate place for it.

My problem is mostly that in shell/ there's only plugin controller who
can contribute to the context menus, but I don't want the VCS-code
there.

So I'm looking for ideas how to do this in a clean way, ideally
something inside the vcs library would do this, but that would need
either the vcs lib linking to shell or a public signal in the
interfaces. I don't really like either of the options, but has anybody
got a better idea?

This might not be just for VCS context menu, I think in the future there
maybe other things that could use this - if we find a proper API to do
it.

Oh, and I fixed the problem with the VC-Context menu having duplicate
entries, the dvcsjob had a small bug.

The reason to still have the VC-Menu populated in a central place
instead of by the plugins individually is to make sure that any
VCS-plugin provides some common base functionality with common widgets
so users don't need to learn a completely different UI everytime they
have to switch the VC-System.

You can do very well in speculation where land or anything to do with dirt
is concerned.