[KDev4] Project parsing and loading

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Sat May 26 15:56:38 UTC 2007

On Saturday 26 May 2007 09:13, dukju ahn wrote:
> Why ImportProjectJob which is called in KDevelop::Project::open()
> parses _every_ contents of full project tree at openning time?
> IMHO, it is waste because not all user doesn't develop every
> part of one project. For example, I don't go over languages,
> sublime, editor etc.

ImportProjectJob drives the build system manager, which means that we need to
have every directory parsed when the project is opened.

> It would be more efficient to parse just toplevel items, and
> only when the user clicks dome directory, we can  just parse
> that dir. It tooks 3 seconds to open kdepimlibs in custommake
> manager, and I even gave up to open kdelibs.

Then fix either the custom make manager or the generic project manager
(whichever one is used) to be faster. 3 seconds is an arbitrary number. Run
callgrind on it and provide the dump instead.

> Also, was there any reason for ImportProjectJob not to use
> QThread internally??

You want to manage that extra complexity? It's already fairly asynchronous as
it is since it uses the KJob framework already.
--
Matt