kdevelop in KDE4 status

Jonas Widarsson jonas at widarsson.com
Sun May 20 15:42:29 UTC 2007

On 5/20/07, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 20.05.07 15:34:38, Jonas Widarsson wrote:
> > I was browsing the sites about KDE4 and KDevelop and couldn't get a
> > clear perception of whether KDevelop 4 is released in any usable
> > state.
> >
> > I am particularly wondering if a usable KDevelop 4 will be installed
> > if I simply use the kdesvn-build script set up for KDE4.
>
> No and neither will a usable KDE4 desktop be installed. Wait until the
> KDE 4.0 release or at least a release candidate is released to get the
> desktop. For KDevelop you have to wait some time longer. Its currently
> kind of a shell around kate+projectmanagement. But its unstable and not
> expected to be usable for development.

I am not expecting KDE4 to be useable for all sorts of everyday tasks.
I was thinking that if I launch my development of my own app from
within KDE4 I would have a minimum of hazzle with environment
settings, given that the project has matured that far. But you say it
hasn't.

> Why don't you use KDevelop3 for developing your application? That one
> has far more support for C++ especially things like code navigation and
> completion and is much more mature.
>
> Andreas

Hmmm, yes I am using KDevelop 3.4 now. But that has to live outside
KDE4 i assume and then every time I run my app I need it to pop up
inside the Xephyr window running the unstable KDE4. And I don't know
how to do that yet. I installed Xephyr for the first today and tested
KDE3 inside it. but I haven't tried any development on and using
Qt4/KDE4 yet.

Well, I am sort of satisfied with your answer. If you have any quick
hint you think might help me at this point let me know.

Otherwise I'll just continue getting tired from all reading of
outdated material ;) hehe. I'll find my way, and maybe harass you guys
one or two more times.

Thanks

/Jonas