[KDev4] GDB debugger working style questions.

dukju ahn dukjuahn at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 19:18:50 UTC 2007

I want to clear the appreance and GUI for gdb plugin in KDev4.

1. supporting multiple project simultaneously

Should we allow debugging more than 2 project simultaneously?
I don't think so. Multiple debugger running only confuses user, and
it will lead to much more complexity in architecture while gaining
very little benefit.

2. GDB output views.

a)
In KDev3, gdb output widgets such as framestack, variable displayer
were displayed only when gdb is being run. After gdb finished, these
display widgets were hidden.
Now, in current sublime UI, is it possible that gdb part can
hide/show its own widgets anytime when he wants?

b)
Do we need to allow multiple gdb views? Specifically, it doesn't
make sense to have 3~5 breakpoint displayers for one project. Rather
I think we need to restrict the number of breakpoint view just "one"
for each project.

3. Shortcut to start debugger.

There is no concept of "active project" in Kdev4. Now the user
presses F9, how does the gdb know which project to start?

4. Gdb plugin path.

In kdev3, gdb is under languages/cpp/debugger. But gdb is not designed
only for C. Fortran and other languages can use gdb. I suggest
plugin/gdb as its path.