KDevelop UI

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 19 20:02:42 UTC 2007

On 19.07.07 21:15:19, Roberto Raggi wrote:
> Il giorno 19/lug/07, alle ore 20:45, Andreas Pakulat ha scritto:
> > You mean the standard Qt dockwidget-effects when dragging dockwidgets?
> > Or what else?
> no I mean I want to show a little preview of the "embedded view"
> while dragging

Aah, now I see it. You don't even use Qt's dockwidgets :)

> >>    - eclipse-like views
> >
> > What do you mean with that? I mean Eclipse views are not that
> > different
> > from plain Qt dockwidgets, except that you can have fast-views
> > which you
>
> well, they are a bit different. For instance, you maximize a view
> with a double click on a titlebar (I love it)

Yes, thats really a great feature.

> and you have perspectives.

We already have that, its called Area in Sublime.

> > Well, I like Qt4 dockwidgets, especially being able to drag them
> > around
> > and group them with tabs and having multiple groups in the same area,
> > being able to float them as toplevel widget...
> > One thing I especially dislike about the standard dockwidgets is that
> >
> > a) they don't change from horizontal to vertical title automatically
> > b) you can't dynamically decide to which docking area the corners
> > belong
> >
> > I know both of these might not be fixable outside Qt, I just wanted to
> > note them down.
>
> I like Qt dock widgets too, I think they are great. But, I'm not not
> sure I want to use dock widgets in an IDE.

Why not? Why has Designer dockwidgets then ;)

> >> btw as I said before I will do some more prototyping today. Just let
> >> me know what you would like to see in the final version. The license
> >> is MIT.
> >
> > Ok, here's one change we'd need: Another license :P MIT is not allowed
> > for libraries, only LGPL or BSD without advertisement clause.
> > kdevplatform has to follow kdelibs policies.
>
> I don't know what you are talking about. MIT is compatible with GPL
> and LGPL. I'm already using MIT in r++ and kdev-pg and   *you* are
> using MIT too. Look at the copyright header of qmake.g

Thats all sources of an application. kdelibs policy states that a
library is not allowed to use a license other than lgpl or bsd without
the clause. See http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Licensing_Policy

Oh and I forgot X11 license :)

Yes I know that page talks about libraries inside kdelibs, but in the
discussions about creating the kdevplatform module it was already
pointed out that the module has to follow those policies and we already
agreed (here on the list) to make kdevplatform libraries lgpl.

Anyway, this particular part can be discussed once we decided the way to
go.

Learn to pause -- or nothing worthwhile can catch up to you.