KDevelop UI

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Jul 19 17:34:48 UTC 2007

On 19.07.07 11:50:34, dukju ahn wrote:
> 2007/7/18, Roberto Raggi <roberto at kdevelop.org>:
> >
> > Hi Alexander,
> >
> > Il giorno 18/lug/07, alle ore 19:25, Alexander Dymo ha scritto:
> >
> > > Hehe, that's because nobody worked on it since January ;)
> >
> > too bad :( well, I really think that ideal is still the best UI for
> > IDEs and I would like to see an improved ideal mode in kdev4. You can
> > find in attachement my little implementation of ideal. It's a 3-4
> > hours hack, so don't expect too much, but the button bars are pretty
> > good and (of course) the code is trivial, about 500 loc(and I hope
> > with not too many bugs). There are a few things to do(like resizing
> > the dock widgets), but I think the remaing stuff is trivial. I hope
> > you guys have some time to help me finishing it and maybe integrate
> > it in the kdev sublime UI.
>
> Wow. I like it. Qt4's dockwidget is inconvenient because it is hard
> to acquire large texteditor area. That is, it is hard to hide side dockwidget
> when I don't want to see it. I should click X button 5 times if there are
> 5 tabbed widgets  on right/bottom side. Then I should invoke context menu,
> click checkbox to resurrect the hidden docwidget.
>
> Ideal is ideal as its name suggests.

I agree that we should have the buttons to show/hide dockwidgets, but
there's much todo with that example - apart from resizing there's also
the problem of automatic closing of the dockwidget when you click into
the editor area. I _hate_ that for certain toolviews.

And the question is wether all that is doable with Qt's dockwidget and
mainwindow without falling into the kmdi-trap.

Living your life is a task so difficult, it has never been attempted before.