RFC: KDevelop4 icons, what do we want/need?

Vladimir Prus ghost at cs.msu.su
Tue Jan 30 12:25:20 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 30 January 2007 15:00, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30. January 2007 11:18, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 January 2007 23:20, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > > I am working on a list of IDE-like icons to give to the Oxygen folk, so
> > > that KDevelop4 can have system-provided icons. Anyway, a few comments...
> > >
> > > For debugging controls, could VCR icons be used for run, break, stop,
> > > restart?
> >
> > I'm not sure about restart -- the ideas in the document don't look
> > intuitive.
>
> It may not be a completely appropriate analogy, but I guess looking at audio
> players or VCRs could be a good idea. So...
>
> What Would Amarok Do? (TM)
>
> Amarok (1.4.4) has got four main controls in its player control toolbar:
> - Next Track / Previous Track behave in a simple way, are always enabled,
>   and only serve one purpose, namely skipping back and forth.
> - The Play button is always enabled as well, but when a track is played,
>   it changes to the Pause button. Which means that only one of them is
>   displayed at a time.
> - The Stop button stays the Stop button, but is only enabled when a track
>   is playing.
>
> There are players which don't combine the Play/Pause functionality in one
> single button (I can't currently think of one, but I remember using them),
> and those are using the Play button for restarting the current track.
>
> That in mind, I can think of two possible approaches for KDevelop:
>
> - Start Debugging changes to Pause when the program is running.
>   Restart is dropped completely, the user is required to first select Stop,
>   then Start Debugging.

This won't work, as Stop kills gdb and Restart does not, so:

	1. You don't need to reload gdb from scratch
	2. There's no swtich from debugger "perspective" to code
	editing "perspective" and back.

> or
> - Start Debugging keeps its icon, but is renamed to Restart when the program
>   is running. Pause gets its own steady place in the toolbar, and is only
>   enabled when the program is running.

It won't work either. Now "Start" is renamed to "Resume" when debugger
starts. And "Resume" is not the same as "Restart" -- "Resume" continues
execution from the current position and "Restart" starts application from
the start.

- Volodya