RFC: KDevelop4 icons, what do we want/need?

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 25 23:01:07 UTC 2007

Did you look at the attached document? With the exception of
autotools-related stuff (for which I am making a 'don't do this yet!'
note right now :-)), every single item is IMO something that *any* IDE
would have. Maybe I am less visionary, but I don't see the actions
'build', 'clean', 'run program', 'stop program', etc going away in
KDev4. In fact, except for the aforementioned autotools stuff, every
single action I listed is shared by at least MSVC6; probably by most
IDE's out there. I was specifically trying to think of things whose use
is specific to "IDE's in general" (if even that), not only KDevelop.

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 25.01.07 14:20:56, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
>> I am working on a list of IDE-like icons to give to the Oxygen folk, so that
>> KDevelop4 can have system-provided icons. Anyway, a few comments...
>>
>> For debugging controls, could VCR icons be used for run, break, stop, restart?

Any thoughts here? One point is that the need for VCR-like icons is not
going to go away, it makes sense to share as much as possible with e.g.
music players (and maybe uiserver? ;-)). Also we are talking very simple
icons that should be very easy to make, and are good candidates for
re-purposing.

>> Should more autotools-related menus have icons? (distclean, configure, run
>> autotools, etc.) What about 'make messages', 'make doc', etc.?
>>
>> Is there anything else (that isn't already in the system-wide icons) that
>> needs/wants icons that I am forgetting?
>
> I think this is much too early. We don't even have a shell around an
> editor at the moment and we certainly don't know how our
> project-management, file-management or any other Ui's will look like.

But will we still have projects? Will we still want to create new
projects, and open existing projects?

You do raise an excellent point, however, that our expanded needs are
not yet known. Therefore I will not plan on adding anything beyond the
core features I came up with so far (besides, one point to getting it in
svn is so someone /else/ can do that ;-)).

If there are specific items you are concerned about, I would appreciate
more detailed discussion, but at the very least I want my 'sync to dir'
icon request going up. I'm sure you remember the discussion on that a
while back, and as you know this one is certainly not used only by
KDevelop. (And IMNSHO we *really* need a better one :-).)

--
Matthew
"I like to think of it as 'unplanned dissonance'" -- A fellow chorister