kdevelop 3.4 makeopts issue

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Apr 30 16:39:01 UTC 2007

On 30.04.07 11:06:16, Kris Wong wrote:
> >> I lately often run into build problems with MAKEOPTS greater than -j2
> >>
> >> profileeditor.h:38: 'QListBixItem' has not been declared
> >> profileeditor.h:39: 'QListViewtem' has not been declared
> >>
> >> I dont know why and it doesnt always happen, but it could easily be
> solved
> >> with this patch.
> >>
> >> Well, it is no "must apply" but with this at least this makeopts
> problem
> >> doesnt appear anymore.
>
> > This patch is absolutely right, the header file uses these two classes
> > and thus should add forward declarations for that. Applied and
> > committed, thx.
>
> This is a timing issue.  profileeditor.h includes profileeditorbase.h,
> which is generated from profileeditorbase.ui.  I often see this when
> using "make -j3".  profileeditorbase.h already forward declares the 2
> classes that the patch adds, so this patch doesn't actually fix anything
> (although it certainly doesn't hurt).  The reason it appears to fix the
> problem is because once you've issued the second make command,
> profileeditorbase.h has been generated.  You will continue to see this
> issue any time you do a clean compile, in which case issuing a second
> make command is all that is required to "fix" the issue.

I don't think this is correct. The generated header needs to exist
already before the profileeditor.cpp is compiled. If that fails you'll
get a different error message. And if the generated file exists the
profileeditor.cpp should compile, unless there's a #include missing
somewhere.

Your motives for doing whatever good deed you may have in mind will be
misinterpreted by somebody.