KDE/kdevelop [POSSIBLY UNSAFE]

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Apr 23 18:08:20 UTC 2007

On 23.04.07 19:33:44, David Nolden wrote:
> On Monday 23 April 2007 19:14:19 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 23.04.07 17:49:39, David Nolden wrote:
> > Then why is this part of KDevelop or the kdevplatform? I think it should
> > be a separate project. And the kdevelop-teamwork plugin can have a
> > runtime dependecy for such a server.
>
> Because a client and a server are essentially the same in a peer-to-peer
> environment, except that the server can run separately. The client is builds
> on the same code.

Then why can't this be a client lib + server app based on that library.
Both outside kdevplatform? This would give other apps the possiblity to
benefit from the code and for now only the teamwork plugin would have
the dependecy.

> > Well, do you have specific use-cases where this makes sense? I really
> > can't imagine why a plugin needs to talk to another kdevelop running on
> > another computer, but maybe I just don't see the vision ;)
>
> I haven't thought about use-cases yet. What if someone wants to implement a
> plugin for video-chat? Or a plugin that highlights all files that another
> developer is currently working on.. maybe we'll get better ideas once we do
> real collaborative development. :-) Basically it would allow new
> teamwork-functionality without bloating the teamwork-plugin.

Well, unless we find someone who's interested in the code you just added
to trunk/ I doubt this will happen. Its not really small...

Caution: breathing may be hazardous to your health.