Sort of new qmake test

Stephan Diederich stephan.diederich at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 5 14:30:33 UTC 2006

Hi again,

sorry for replying to myself, but after an intern discussion, I've to
clarify myself.

2006/10/4, Stephan Diederich <stephan.diederich at googlemail.com>:
> 2006/10/2, Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> Thanks for that hint! The support for this type of "project" was given
> before. I know this structure is a bit uncommon, but unfortunately we
> have it, and that's why we've chosen qmake as our build system.
> The demo project was just an short excerpt. Our tree looks like that:
> projectroot
>    apps
>       app1
>       app2
>    demos
>       superdemo
>    someLibsFromUs
>       liba
>       libb
>    andSomeOtherLibsFromUs
>       libd
>
> The libs are shared across different apps and demos, but there's no
> main project at the top which includes everything, as not every
> app/demo uses all of the libs. Bjam and qmake are the only build
> systems - I've found so far - that support that structure. In each
> app/demo/lib-dir there's a .pro file (as well as vcproj-files from
> VC++). The demos and app dirs have .pro and .sln (also VC++) files,
> and are the so called main projects. It's no problem to add .pro files
> in the project-root and all the other sub-but_not_a_leaf-dir, but
> opening the project-root in kdev isn't an option, as too much unneeded
> stuff gets pulled into the project :(

I think, additional .pro files won't help. QMake supports project
structures, where the top-level-project-file is not in the
root-of-project-directory. This is done by using subprojects with a
relative (..) path. This was given in the old qmake-manager (like in
Visual Studio) and it would be really important for us that this
feature is present in the new one, too.

Cheers,
Stephan