KDevelop's QMake Manager

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Nov 19 11:35:53 UTC 2006

On 19.11.06 05:25:35, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> On Sunday 19 November 2006 04:17, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 19.11.06 00:16:42, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > >  I tried using KTextEditor::Editor in my project and found I needed
> > > what appears to be a Qt3 header.
> >
> > KTextEditor::Editor from KDE4? I thought that was already completely
> > ported...
>
> No.  I don't have time to devote to building KDE 4 right now.  I wish I did,
> but it has the potential for breaking things that I can't afford to have
> broken.

You can't use KTextEditor::Editor from Qt4 programs, thats still KDE3
then.

> > > I had set the $QTDIR to the snapshot image
> > > when I loaded Kdevelop the first time.  I unset the variable and
> > > reloaded. That's when I got the dialog asking for the directory location.
> > >  I told it /usr/lib/qt
> >
> > That looks like Qt3 though. So do you work with Qt3 or Qt4? You
> > eventually have to change the version option under Project Options->C++
> > Support->Qt Tab.
>
> I am coding to Qt4.  SuSE has Qt3 stuff in /usr/lib/qt3. SuSE provides the qt
> stuff in separate rpms.  They provide both the qt3, and the qt4 with qt3
> support.  I really don't understand how it all mixes together.  Here are the
> directories they provide with qt4.

> for line in $(rpm -ql qt-qt3support-4.1.2-2 qt-devel-4.1.2 qt-4.1.2); do \
>  echo ${line%/*}; done | grep -v mkspecs/|sort| uniq
> /usr/bin
> /usr/include
> /usr/include/Qt

Ok, then you should provide "/usr" as your Qt directory. That will work.

> > > and it told me that wasn't a valid Qt directory.  I'm on SuSE
> > > 10 right now.  Any idea why that happened?
> >
> > Ok, I need to explain a bit more in that dialog. KDevelop detects a Qt
> > directory by checking that the directory contains inlcude/qt.h or
> > include/Qt/qglobalh. depending on the version of Qt used. So make sure
> > you've selected the dir that has a bin, include, lib, share, mkspecs and
> > so on in it.
>
> You may or may not be aware of how many dialogs fail to provide such useful
> information.

I am aware that many dialogs fail to provide enough information about
why they popup :)

> > If SuSE doesn't provide that please tell me, then we need to think about
> > a different solution.
>
> This is very similar to the problem I have with wanting to structure my
> programs with header, implementation, and .pro files in different
> directories.

But that should work with 3.4, doesn't it?

You will be married within a year.