new KDevPlatform API for consideration

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Wed May 24 02:16:12 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 08:24, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hi Matt,
>
> > > I wonder if some methods of KDevProject should better move into
> > > KDevFileManager? I mean: inProject, absoluteUrl, relativeUrl. For me
> > > this seems more natural to combine them there.
> >
> > inProject is a convenience method. absoluteUrl and relativeUrl refer to
> > the project file as I understand it (and can remember w/o looking at the
> > code)
>
> you mean the .kdevelop file with project file?
> If so, does this assume that the .kdevelop file is always in the top folder
> of a project? We had some complains about this limitation in Quanta. Some
> user want to store the project file independent of the project. I would
> love to have this possibility in the future.
> But then absolute and relative must be to the project root and not the
> project file. So it seems to fit better in KDevFileManager.

hmmm, no, absoluteUrl and relativeUrl should be removed perhaps. They seem
completely useless ATM.

> > > So maybe the best solution would be to drop KDevFileManager and put the
> > > stuff directly into KDevProject? I mean can we imagine projects without
> > > files? And even if there are some, they can carry the overhead.
> > > What you would need than is a setBuildManager for projects which
> > > actually support building.
> >
> > no, the whole point of KDevFileManager is to move all of that stuff out
> > of KDevProject.  We just need to update the KDevProject docs. :)
>
> Can you explain why you want to do this?

Because KDevFileManager (and derivatives) is the interface to the project
manager part and the file handling stuff that was already in KDevProject
would duplicate what's in KDevFileManager. KDevFileManager is a combination
of the current KDevProjectImporter and KDevProjectEditor classes in trunk.

> > > If yes, I am thinking about a way to associate custom data to a
> > > KDevProjectItem. I mean like KFileItem is doing it. If we would have
> > > this Quanta and others could use the default project of KDevelop and
> > > just add pointers to specific data to the items. This would be very
> > > flexible and could be used from different plugins at the same time.
>
> You said nothing about this idea?
>
> Jens

I didn't have anything to say about it, so I stayed silent rather than just
say something completely non-sensical. :) I don't know how KFileItem
associates custom data. I know that to add custom data, you would need a
KDevProjectItem derivative, and perhaps your own file manager. what type of
custom data are you talking about?  Do you have use cases about how it would
be used? Right now, I think it's overkill, since I don't see it being used
much, but I'm willing to be educated. :)
--
Matt