code-completion + documentation + tooltips

David Nolden david.nolden.kdevelop at art-master.de
Tue May 16 05:55:22 UTC 2006

Am Montag, 15. Mai 2006 21:06 schrieb Jens Dagerbo:
> Still having problems with SVN? If you pop into #kdevelop we might be able
> to help you figure it out. Or, if you want, just send me the new patch and
> I'll commit it for you. :)

Yes I have.. it's not getting better :) I checked the official list of
kde-svn-accounts on the net, and my name is missing in it, so the account
probably doesn't exist. Maybe it's because I sent a wrong key(RSA insdead of
DSA), but that's about a Month ago. Last week I reapplied for a
https-account, but no answer yet.

But now to get to the positive news :)

1. I rewrote the calltips-part with the new system, and it's quite useful now.

2. I changed the cpp-parser to nicely parse comments within the
code(concerning variables, typedefs, classes, enums(including each
enumerator), and functions) and store them into the ast, changed both
code-models to store and give access to those comments, and now show them in
the tooltips of the class-view, as additional comment for each function in
the completion-box, and in the calltips-box.

3. I TRIED to create tooltips so that you can just point your mouse on an
arbitrary part of some expression, and the tooltips show you all information
available about the expression's resulting type/functions including comments
etc. Generally that's no big Problem with the available system, but I can'
get the tooltip to work correctly. With the Kate-editor, the tooltip respects
the set delay and asks for the text in the right moment, but then doesn't
show it. The Qt-designer based editor does show the box, but does not respect
the delay and updates it whenever I move the mouse for just a pixel, and thus
isn't very useful either. Also I prefer the kate-editor anyway, so can
someone help me get that show the tooltips?

The best would be some custom tooltip-widget that could offer more
flexibility.. but that would be too much additional work for me right now.

I stored the current patch with tooltips disabled at
http://www.art-master.de/David/nolden060516.diff for looking and testing. I'm
still planning to split it into atomic parts so it can go into svn, but I
think that's going to be quite some work since I did so many different
things.. btw. an incomplete list of changes is stored at
http://www.art-master.de/David/changes

Greetings, David