Document loading in kdevelop4

Adam Treat treat at kde.org
Sun Jul 23 14:25:53 UTC 2006

On Sunday 23 July 2006 2:47 am, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Sunday 23 July 2006 01:26, Adam Treat wrote:
> > Then the document loading on project startup would be limited only by
> > the speed of the background parser.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Good idea, with possible the following enhancement: construct the KParts
> in the background if the application is idle. If this is too hard to
> detect due to the plugin architecture, you might try how it works out
> by constructing a KPart each X ms with a timer.
> This would make switching to a document in some cases faster, with the
> drawback of higher memory footprint. But not higher as today. Also make
> sure if the tab is closed with the close button or from the context
> menu of the tab, the KPart is not created and destroyed. ;-)

I'm not going to implement this for awhile, anyway as I'm doing other
things... But i'll keep this idea on the backburner ;)

> A question though about the document parser: does it operate on the
> files on the disk or on the loaded documents (via KTextEditor)?

Both.  If the document is the activeDocument (ie, it has focus and is
currently shown) then it grabs the text from the open KTextEditor.  If it is
not shown, then it won't be parsed except for on app start-up in which case
it grabs the text from disk.  Once the document becomes active, it uses
KTextEditor like above.

Cheers,

Adam