[Fwd: Re: complete GDB MI specification]

okuti jbb at kdevelop.org
Tue Dec 7 10:11:06 UTC 2004

>From the gdb mailing list, someone else is looking to implement MI.
The following answer may be helpful if anyone picks this up. The
archives mentioned are for the gdb mailing list.

Cheers,

jbb

           From:
Eli Zaretskii
<eliz at gnu.org>
             To:
Konstantin
Karganov
<kostik at ispras.ru>
             Cc:
gdb at sources.redhat.com
Re: complete GDB
MI specification
           Date:
Mon, 06 Dec 2004
22:55:20 +0200

> Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:21:30 +0300
> From: Konstantin Karganov <kostik at ispras.ru>
>
> I'm going to implement a GUI debugger over GDB and need a complete
> description of MI commands and their result formats. Where can I find
> it?

In general, in the manual.

> The "Debugging with GDB" guide doesn't specify many details: for
> example, the value of the expression is a string with unclear format
> (i.e. "[0 <repeated 100 times>]" is a valid array value), the
> "-var-update" response is not specified at all...

Please report all such unclear cases, and I will try to fix them.

> How can I make a parser for the grammar specified as "there should be
> something like the result"? :)

There was a long series of discussions about a month ago, either here
or on gdb-patches.  Search for "MI" in the archives, and you will find
a patch with a formal parser grammar for the MI interface.