[knotes, todo-list] Better and less buggy integration into kontact, kdevelop

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Thu Oct 16 13:04:40 UTC 2003

Hi *,
@kdepim: please CC kdevelop-devel at kdevelop.org
@kdevelop: please CC kdepim at kde.org

Current behaviour:
open a note in the taskbar, open the same note in kontact. Now change
the note in kontact and you see the (opened) note from the taskbar does
not get notified. Now close kontact (it will save the modified note) and now
close the other note and the changes from kontact are overwritten.
That happens vice versa, too.
Now if we would embed knotes into kdevelop three application would have
access to the notes and that could get a mess!
(Angry users, lost changes on notes)

Planned behaviour *hopefully* for kde 3.2:
Add a dcop "client" to the kontact knotes and the knotes in the taskbar is our
"server". So the kontact-knotes must register in knotes via dcop and then if
you change sth. with the knotes-app all registered clients get a message to
reload the notes list.

That is mainly a @todo for the kdepim-guys.

Regading to KDevelop:
KDevelop knotes plugin is atm a port of the kontact-knotes plugin, that means
its hard to keep it up to date because the kontacts-knotes plugin is always
a step further and we (kdevelop guys) always have to look that we take over
the changes.

...thats why there is a
Planned behaviour for 3.3 (or 4.0?):
Put the knotes widget from kontact into a shared library so that every app
can use it. Then the kdevelop-knotes plugin would be always up to date :)

What about the Todo-List in kontact / korganizer?
Well, we want to add a Todo-list plugin for KDevelop, too! But at the moment
there would be the same troubles as with the "knotes-stuff" :/
So we need to do the same with the todo-list:
- one Todo-list-app is our server using dcop.
- all other clients have to register to the server
- the server can send a reload event to the clients and vice versa
So we need sth. like a "KTodo" app that is in the taskbar like knotes that
acts then as our server.
We do not have enough time to realize that for 3.2 :(
(and btw we are in feature freeze ;))

Any suggestions?
What do you think?

--