[NEWBIE] specifying alternative compiler

Izo I at siol.net
Thu Nov 27 09:54:02 UTC 2003

-This post is valid for KDevelop-2.1.x
- With the procedure here you will have possibility to use both compilers.
- I assume that you have both, 2.95.3 and 3.x, compilers installed
- I assume the 2.95.3 directory as $2953DIR and 3.x as $3xDIR

1. Options->KDevelop Setup->Compiler
2. Build System Setup -> see if you have i386 or i686 in the system
combo. If you have i386, add i686 (and viceversa). Set up here the
default build arch. for your projects - it is system default not project
default
3. Target Compile System Setup -> repeat as written in the point 2
4. I have set up the i686 target configuration having $3xDIR/cpp,gcc,g++
consecutively and i386 having $2953DIR/cpp,gcc,g++ consecutively
5. Close dialog
6. Close KDevelop
7. Reopen it
8. Now, if you have set up the default build as i386, the gcc-2.95.3
would be used at the configure/build, and if you've set up the i686, the
gcc-3.x would be used.
9. For existing projects you will probably have to manually edit the
.kdevprj and .kdevses files to reset the build and target archs. Or
maybe I am wrong. In any case you should distclean/autoconf/configure them.
10. Be sure to set appropriate build and target settings prior to open
any project
11. Or use build configurations. If they are not working as you expect I
have created the patch which improves behaviour. The patch also improves
some mouse events' behaviour for the KDevelop-2.1.5 on qt/kde-3.0.x.

Izo