[CODE] remote (embedded) debugging with kdevelop?

Stefan Taferner taferner at kde.org
Tue Jul 8 14:39:02 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 12:37, Roger Larsson wrote:
> On tisdagen den 8 juli 2003 10.27, Stefan Taferner wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 July 2003 10:04, jbb wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I don't have time atm to look at this, but can this be added to gideon
> > > in cvs without causing problems?
> >
> > I had an irc chat with Roberto about it on Sunday.
> > It will be added, but we need some work to add it.
> >
> > Mainly from my point of view its a place in the project options to set
> > the remote host.
> >
> > What was not discussed was who writes the project option dialog.
> > Roberto?
>
> Hmm... this requires that target has:
> * gdb
> * mounted remote filesystem(?)
> * ethernet (ppp over serial could work - but slow...)

Yes, some sort of tcp/ip connection.

I did the whole thing because we need it here at work. And we cannot
use gdbserver because it is not ported to our server platform.

As long as you can automatically start gdbserver on the remote
system it should be possible with similar techniques to do remote
debugging. And there could be some config choices about what
to start on the remote machine (gdb or gdbserver) and how to
start it (rsh, ssh, rexec, etc).

I am not sure if I understand enough of gideon up to now to implement
it; and I also do not want to fumble in somebody else's code if not
invited ;-)

--Stefan