Release Management and being sober

Eray Ozkural exa at ttnet.net.tr
Wed Feb 26 16:32:13 UTC 2003

Hi there,

I think we're making a few mistakes regarding release management.

Nothing too grave, but if we don't make a plan then we are going to get
recognition as the source of bug-ridden development software like Microsoft
Visual Studio.

I think we should, independent of KDE release cycle, must define a few phases
in development so that we can smoothly progress into a beta release.

My suggestion is:

-- a feature freeze date
-- a bug-fixing phase, all bugs considered important for a beta milestone
should be fixed.
-- a TODO decapitulation phase in which we attack the items in TODO
emphasizing those features already present in KDevelop 2.x but lacking in
HEAD.

Comments welcome,

Also somebody must be appointed to track release management and watch over the
process. Not meaning intimidating anybody of course :) Caleb, I think you
would gladly continue doing it.... Can you come up with a rough schedule?

Thanks,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
www: http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunction: http://mp3.com/ariza