Gideon memory usage

Andras Mantia amantia at freemail.hu
Wed Feb 26 11:54:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

 I have some complains about the Gideon HEAD memory usage. After the recent
commits to cppsupport, which changed the parsing, Gideon uses much more
memory than before. Right now, if I start up without a project it uses ~25MB.
After loading the quanta.kdevelop, it uses ~75MB. Opening a file increases
the memory usage with about 3MB. Closing the files or the project does not
decrease the memory usage, it stays around ~80MB. It's true that reopening
the project again does not increase the memory usage with a noticeable
amount.
 Now why am I complaining? Because until the recent commits, the memory usage
was under 40MB with the same project and several files opened. I have 256MB
RAM and 140MB swap, and if I have some more apps running, during a debugging
session Gideon gets killed, as I quickly run out of memory. :-(  This is how I
noticed again, that there is some problem with Gideon HEAD.
 I don't say that the old parsing is better, but cannot be the new one
optimized and the memory consumption reduced?

Also can anybody tell me why does the application break during debugging with
messages like:
No source: 0x..... in read() from /lib/libc.so.6
?

Some days it happens, and some day it's not. Can it be because of swapping???

Andras