Next Gideon release:

F@lk Brettschneider falk.brettschneider at gmx.de
Sun Feb 23 22:19:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

I understand your wish that KDevelop should be a Beta version but it is
simply not true.  Beta means:
     ---->    The program has been finished for the planned goal.  <----
But the main goal has been to provide a version that is not a step back
compared to 2.1.
You know Beta-version means to think it's 98% ready but to fix bugs
reported by Beta testers.

But the easiest things do not work correctly, and noone does or wants to
fix that.

Examples:
- The toolbars are a big mess
- Toplevel mode doesn't work at all
- Randomly but often crashes occur when you use the program for some hours
- Filenew feature dosn't work correctly, the design is not good (well,
of course IMHO)
- Import of 2.1 projects not really supported
- Many parts are unmaintained and not tested for a long time. It's still
not clear which parts you declare as usuable. (I guess for instance,
Java is not usuable atm. Do you really want to release it?)
- The output view is a mess. Try to scroll up during a compile action.
- e.g. structs in the classview aren't shown
- One can not go forth and back in the documentation views, the caption
doesn't show the right file
- The accelerators are a big mess
- Running programs started from KDevelop cannot be stopped from the IDE
- ... some more known, annoying bugs ...
- Some people haven't finished their started codings (e.g. cppsupport
<-- Roberto)

The ones from above should be the roadmap until the Beta release. This
should be reason enough to stick on Alpha stage.

Furthermore it's not very user-friendly to let KDevelop require the very
latest KDE version.
I know many companies and universities which are forced to stay on a
certain Linux distribution for a while, and which cannot constantly
update to each and every new KDE version.
What is so hard to support KDE-3.0 as well? In 95 % of all cases it's
just one code line that needs to be changed.

To my mind a new KDevelop-3 version is a very good idea but, please, not
Beta. It wouldn't look very professional, but in a certain manner,
because we are an IDE, we are committed to. ;-)
Cheers
F at lk