Serious memory leak in Gideon

Andras Mantia amantia at freemail.hu
Fri Feb 14 13:15:06 UTC 2003

Hi,

 I've tried to run Gideon inside Valgrind, as you've suggested. I will attach
the valgrind log to this mail. What I've done is to load the last project,
and modify a C++ file a little, then exit Gideon. At the end there are no
sign of memory leak, possibly because the guilty part cleans up all the used
memory on exit (but fails to clean up the unneeded memory during typing).
Look at this part of the log (which appears as soon as I quit gideon, but
before everything is cleaned up):

==2519== ERROR SUMMARY: 2916 errors from 13 contexts (suppressed: 536 from 6)
==2519== malloc/free: in use at exit: 1374652 bytes in 25718 blocks.
==2519== malloc/free: 2118309 allocs, 2092592 frees, 64834687 bytes allocated.
==2519== For counts of detected errors, rerun with: -v
==2519== searching for pointers to 25718 not-freed blocks.

 I investigated a little, by turning off all the plugins and using a new
(simple) project. It turned out, that the memory leak is not present if I
disable the C++ background parsing, but it's very serious if it's enabled.
 When I have created the new project, it didn't leak, even with background
parsing enabled, but it started to leak as soon as I enabled the code
completion. Turning off code completion after this did not help, turning off
background parsing did help.
 The error must be somewhere in the cppsuport part, as there were some commits
to it by that time when I first noticed the leak.

I hope this helps and it can be fixed soon.

Andras