debugger

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Mon Feb 3 19:16:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 03 Feb 2003 14:54, Harald Fernengel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since our debugger seems pretty much unmaintained, I was looking for
> alternatives and found that kdbg has a pretty good debugger.
>
> I talked to Johannes and although he doesn't want to work on gideon he
> wouldn't mind if we use his code. Since the debugger is pretty modular, it
> is not a big problem to extract it from kdbg's gui.
>
> Does anyone mind (John?) if I replace the existing debugging code with
> kdbg's?

The major problem with the debugger is that the interface from the core code
to gideon has been broken. This you'll going to have to fix with any core
code, so having a new core will not solve this.

And the reason that this interface is broken is because nobody has maintained
it, as you point out. Unless a maintainer steps up then I think you are back
to square one as the bulk of the work for any given core code is in the
interface. (Sure there is some work in the core but not that much, and this
is the only piece that will be maintained.)

Harry, I would look closely at what you have, how to fix it, the work needed
to replace it and, most importantly, where the maintenence will be at the end
of this and then make a judgement call.

My feeling is you will spend quite some time doing this and won't gain
anything over fixing what you have.

Personally, I'd rather you didn't do this as it'll make me sad to see the work
I've put in tossed aside because nobody else would step up to maintain it and
take it in new directions, but if you feel that this is the best way then...

jbb