KDevelop team interview

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Tue May 7 17:51:02 UTC 2002

Philippe FREMY wrote:

> - Who is working on kdevelop ?
> - How did you get started ?
> - How long ago ?
> -> everybody please present himself

I'm Richard Dale, a longtime Objective-C/NeXTSTEP developer before I got into
Qt/KDE programming. I'll try and describe my view of the (complex) history of
the project since late 1999..

I was trying to port Squeak Smalltalk to GNUstep in September 1999, and
couldn't find a Linux text editor or IDE that supported Objective-C. KDevelop
looked promising, but crashed when I tried to edit some Objective-C. So I
fixed the crash by making parse Objective-C - not as hard as it sounds because
it is actually a pretty simple language.

I carried on adding syntax highlighing and so, and was most suprised to find
that after a week or so I had a perfectly usable Objective-C IDE. I built a
patch and Sandy Meier put it on the KDevelop site. I gave up the Squeak work,
when I found it was more fun to try and produce a complete KDE Objective-C
programming environment with Qt/KDE language bindings.

At that time (early 2000), the development plan for KDevelop was that version
1.x would be targeted at C/C++ developers, and version 2.x would support
multiple languages. So while I waited for KDevelop 2.x to be ready, I carried
on doing Objective-C bindings, which took much more work than I expected. But
by September 2000 I finally had the bindings problem cracked and started
doing Java bindings too.

I waited a long time, until December 2000, before I could add Java and
Objective-C support to the complex and flaky 2.x app. But it wasn't usable,
and it was only when Bernd Gehrmann came up with the gideon rewrite in about
April 2001, that I could port my parsers and manage to edit Java or
Objective-C without the app crashing. Meanwhile, KDevelop 1.x had got so much
developer attention and improvements that it was renamed KDevelop 2.x, and
gideon was to become KDevelop 3.0.

The java support in gideon is especially interesting, in that it is the only
C++ IDE that allows you to write KPart based plugins in Java.

Bernd had to strip out MDI support from gideon in order to get something
stable, that developers could work on. But this was regarded as such an
essential feature, that some KDevelop 2.x developers were very reluctant to
switch to gideon. So work on the two IDEs has continued in parallel. Only
recently have attempts be made to 'synergise' developments by
allowing common KParts to be used by both IDEs.

-- Richard