The day of seperation is here

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Thu Mar 28 09:07:04 UTC 2002

> Maybe it's also possible to get the multi-language mechanism into
> KDevelop-2.2.

Hmmm, Knowing the code base of kdevelop I think this is wishful thinking. It
_could_ be done, but then you'll have to rewrite all the central code. Add
support for parts, write the parts and .... hmmm isn't this getting awfully
close to gideon?

Rolands argments about the details are also only half the story. Sure, no-one
has done it, but then adding that is easier than trying to do the above or
trying to replace the kdevelop2 way of dealing with makefiles with one that
actually understands makefiles.

I see no problem with having gideon and kdevelop in cvs at the same time. If
you are convinced that kdevelop should be head then move it there and create
a branch for gideon. Forking will only remove people from the development of
kdevelop in whatever form it takes.

Personally I find these diverging/converging approaches and the discussions
that arise out of them quite interesting. I would like to see this
cross-pollination of ideas continue on the kdevelop mailing list...

Then again, I think gideon with a more polished interface would be a beautiful
thing to behold :-))

jbb