C/C+ Reference License

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Mon May 21 09:27:33 UTC 2001

Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2001, Ralf Nolden wrote:
>
> > Norman Jordan wrote:
> > >
> > > I was just wondering what license(s) the C/C++ Reference uses.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > There's no license actually. We're offered to give it away for free but
> > it's docs and in former times doc's didn't have licenses, just
> > copyrights :)
>
> >From the 'Copyright Information Circulars and Form Letters'
> by the U.S. Copyright Office:
>
>   Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United
>   States (title 17, U.S. Code) to the authors of original works of
>   authorship, including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and
>   certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both
>   published and unpublished works. Section 106 of the 1976 Copyright Act
>   generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to do and to
>   authorize others to do the following:
>
>       To reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords;
>
>       To distribute copies or phonorecords of the work to the public by
>       sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or
>       lending;
>
>   [snip]
>
>   It is illegal for anyone to violate any of the rights provided by the
>   copyright law to the owner of copyright.
>
> In other words, if you don't get a license by the author of
> an intellectual work - including documentation - you are not
> allowed to redistribute it.
Thanks for the hint. However, we're writing a new reference based on
Stoustroup and the Ansi draft and in docbook so we get that new layout.

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org