kdevelop debugger threads view

jbb jbb at kdevelop.org
Wed Jul 11 10:47:58 UTC 2001

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:55, you wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> right after I returned from LinuxTag on sunday night, I made an
> appointment to bring the monitor we lend back to the company who gave me
> the iPaq. The boss asked me on the phone if I could hold a speech for an
> hour with their Linux development group, just 5 people this week. It
> ended up that I went there yesterday afternoon and held an out of the
> box talk about KDE and KDevelop for over 2 hours with half an hour
> discussion afterwards...and with 20 developers instead of 5. Interesting
> enough that they want to switch completely to kdevelop, one major
> question was thread execution viewing in the debugger. The developer who
> asked that has tried that with kdbg and said there is a window for
> watching threads independently. Could we make use of that as well ? We
> should really care about that, if we cant put it inside 2.0 we can put
> it into 2.1 and release that seperately during the next month. If I get
> the iPaq stuff going besides my studies, we can maybe add remote
> debugging as well.

Perhaps a better display is in the call stack like so

-thread 1024 (LWP 3155)
  #0 0x080486da at blahblah (i=0):35
  #1 0x05586866 at main ():26
+ thread 2049 (LWP 3156)
+ thread 1026 (LWP 3157)

This is only triggered if a "New Thread" message falls out of gdb - otherwise
the display is the same as we have now.

The current thread that caused the break is automatically opened. Opening a
new thread highlights code at the top of the call stack.

I think I could do this...

> One bug I encountered over Linuxtag is that the callstack window is
> marked as visible but it isnt shown initially, so deselecting and then
> reselecting it in the menu shows it. So there is a bug in the init
> debugger code somewhere where the show is missing. Can you have a look
> at that ?

This is to do with the mdi changes (athough probably indirectly). I'm not
sure what happens here now but there is also another problem with the
disassemble tab not woking. Could you take a look into these Falk, while I
have a look into the thread changes which I'm sure you'll like to get hold of
as well :-)

Anyone - what are your thoughts on the thread display I've proposed. Speak
now or it'll be too late, but don't go wild...

jbb

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«