kwrite - please read

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 10:43:42 UTC 2000

Hi!

Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> I think everybody agrees that it is a bad idea that
> each project needing a text editor maintained its
> own variant of kwrite in the past. So some time ago
> the idea was born to put kwrite into kdelibs as a
> library. Unfortunately, this has some consequences
> for the API: Libraries in kdelibs should retain binary
> compatibility for a longer time (1-2 years). But kwrite
> was not designed to be used as a library and therefore
> doesn't have a clean public API (lots of internal stuff
> in public and protected sections), so it would be diffi-
> cult to extend in the future. Now Simon Hausmann has
> proposed to use kwrite exclusively through a KPart-based
>  API.
Does this mean to have the behaviour of the original kwrite? I mean can
kdevelop have own behaviour and key-bindings for some things?
For instance copy'n'paste by mouse-selection is awful in the original
kwrite but much better in kdevelop's version of kwrite. Or a second
example: Double-click on a word doesn't mark the whole word as selected
in kwrite but fortunatelly it works in kdevelop.
All in all, kwrite itself is a mess, kdevelop's adapted version is supi!
And I don't like to get it worse, you know...

--

Ciao,
--Falk