Plugins (was Re: LinCVS as CVS plugin)

jbb jbb at ihug.co.nz
Fri Nov 19 20:46:26 UTC 1999

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, you wrote:
> >Bernd - Does (will?) the canossa style plugin code supercede the embryo plugin
> >code that's already in Kdevelop2?
>
> Mmh, plugins are Sandy's baby (or embryo, to use your words ;-)

Yes, I just apoligised to Sandy directly, it was supposed to be directed to you
and Sandy.

> What I am thinking of in the long run is a DCOP interface for communicating
> with the world outside of KDevelop, e. g. also for KUML. Basically one would
> certainly want to have a document interface like the one in KSpread (i. e.
> for creating editors, getting an editor list and so on. A createEditor()
> function would return a reference to a object which is an interface to
> KWriteDoc (or a class derived from it). With this interface, one can insert
> text into a file, search, replace and so on. Furthermore, one would need
> an interface to the project management in order to add files, recreate
> Makefiles etc.
>
> With DCOP, one also gets scripting for free. KScript can talk to DCOP
> objects directly, and other languages can either use a wrapper around
> libDCOP or use kxmlrpc. With the latter, you can even use bash as a
> scripting language ;-) Mmh, I could even imagine that one controls the
> debugger via scripting. Don't know if that's useful, but it sounds
> cool :-)

I'm not up to speed on DCOP et al, but the whole KDE2 is looking wonderfully
exciting.  Sooo many new cool programming toys to play with.

Definately the debugger would be best as a plugin. The kdevelop interface for
that that would still need to be defined? After all it still needs to work with
the editor (code displayer)

And having editors as plugins would be perfect. Again they just need to follow
the interface defined? Is KWriteDoc the right interface for this? Do you need
to derived from the interface or just use the interface?

A lot of stuff could end up as plugins?

Okay, that's too many questions stemming from _zero_ knowledge of DCOP and
friends. No need to answer anything specifically.

...but bash as a scripting language - nooo :-)

--
Regards,

jbb
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jbb