Transferring to a new machine

Ian Douglas ian at zti.co.za
Sat Aug 13 13:03:34 BST 2022

Hi

How the hell do I transfer my mail to a new machine?

I exported everything except the actual mails, because .zip can not handle
that size.

Instead, I copied the entire
/home/ian/.local/share/.local-mail.directory/
folder to new machine, stupidly assuming that once I imported the config,
everything Would Just Work.

No such luck.

Not only does the import not recognise that folder structure, it wants me to
recreate it all over again, in the fantastic "Local Folders" imaginary folder
that only heaven knows what it is actually called now. You can't navigate up
to see where the heck you are.

Also, passwords are not exported. Kwallet does not use email addresses, but
Akonadi handles... leaving me to guess which of 30 handles is which account.
I tried exporting wallet from old box and importing on new box, but that does
not seem to import the passwords either, and even if it did, Akonadi would
likely have different handles for each account so it would not work.

Is this just me, or is this process hopelessly broken?

Thanks, Ian

--
ian at zti.co.za http://www.zti.co.za
Zero 2 Infinity - The net.works