just how risky is running KMail4 these days?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 13:25:26 GMT 2018

Hi,

It's no secret I'm holding on to my trusty old KMail 4.13 and 4.14 (because devil you know and all that).

Out of curiosity, just how risky is that nowadays given that it uses a QtWebkit version that hasn't seen any updates since a good while now? I'm telling myself that I should be OK because
- Scams are usually obvious and for a large part already filtered out by GMail
- I don't use that QtWebkit for any serious and actual webbrowsing
- emails are shown in text mode by default and even in html mode don't load remote resources by default
- I don't store credentials to sensitive sites (including the google webverse)

Does that sound reasonable or am I fooling myself?

FWIW I run Kontact but rarely ever use components other than KMail and KNode (esp. not Akregator).

Cheers,
R.