Fixing things Akonadi doesn't with some SQL-fu

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 13:59:43 GMT 2018

On Thursday March 22 2018 14:19:05 Daniel Vrátil wrote:

My, we're staying on topic again, aren't we? :)

>Not neccesarily. On mobile you usually only have a single mail account, maybe

I wasn't just talking about mobile, but your assumption isn't correct for me at least. I haven't configured all my accounts on my iPhone, but that's in part because most of my email accounts feed into my GMail acount. Of course the email stack ignores all those big GMail folders unless I go in there, and it doesn't download messages until I open them.

>(although I'm amazed that people
>complain about Akonadi using couple hundred megs of memory, but are completely
>OK with shitty Electron-based desktop apps using half a gig of RAM each).

Don't you see it? If you only get and send a few simple emails a day, why would you want to reserve hundreds of Mb to the email client that could be spent so much better on that desktop you play so much more with? ;)

>Our IPC is extremely fast these days,

Even the one that involves DBus?

>Well, I'm not porting Akonadi away from DBus just because Mac cannot get it
>right ;-)

The Mac is not to blame here and let's also not talk about KDE devs who think they know how things _have_ to be done on Mac (and that DBus is off-limits). In a sense Qt never got it right with their DBus wrapper which wraps the FreeDesktop.org D-Bus rather than providing an interface that hooks into existing platform APIs to provide *a* desktop bus.