ok, maybe i won't find any devs to back akonadi out of kde-pim after all

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:28:33 GMT 2018

On Sunday March 18 2018 16:59:20 Ian Douglas wrote:

> Kmail was the closest I could find on Linux, and over the years I've looked at
> Thunderbird, Evolution, Sylpheed/claws, etc, and they all suck by comparison.

Myself I've long used Thunderbird, the StarOffice mail client and then a combination of Sylpheed/Claws and Apple Mail, all I started working less on "traditional" Unix workstations (where I mostly used Pine) and started to get too many attachment that required some form of MS Windows compatibility. KMail was a logical step when I started to realise how far KDE had come (starting with 4.12 I think), and became my main MUA when Apple Mail made a few inacceptable choices for me.

The main Kontact/KMail features that keep me from moving to another option (and on version 4.13/4.14)
- folder-specific expiry
- integrated Usenet client (for GMane; if KMail had a "threads with my contributions" filter option I'd be using that)
- cross-platform on Mac & Linux, not based on or inspired by GTk
- same compact, personalised look and feel on Mac and Linux, thanks to QtCurve.

I still keep Sylpheed around for larger-scale IMAP operations, and Thunderbird for if ever Akonadi and GMail get into a mutual hissing fit again.

R.