How to get Kontact backtrace for crash on logout

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 13:53:37 BST 2018

Best and easiest way would be to attach a debugger to the Kontact process from a remote terminal or else from a "virtual console" (Ctrl+Alt+F{1,2,3,4,5,6}). This debugger will catch the interrupt before KCrash and show you exactly where it happened (plus it'll give you a chance to do some post-mortem forensics).

Crashing on logout  from a Plasma5 session used to be a common flaw if my experience with KaOS-in-a-VM is any indication (haven't fired it up for months now). Never really bothered me, it's a bit like stalling your engine when you're already parked anyway :)

FWIW, Qt will do an abort when the X11 connection drops out from under an app (at least it does in 5.9.4), so any KDE application still running when the X server is restarted after logout will also "crash".

R.