Goodbye for now, kmail

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat May 6 11:23:09 BST 2017

Daniel Vrátil - 06.05.17, 12:04:
> > I was thinking more of versions of individual bits of software within the
> > major versions, all it takes is for one failed update of one small piece
> > of
> > software to perhaps cause an issue.  As Dan  is not able to reproduce a
> > lot
> > of issues, maybe we should be able to validate our installation against
> > his
> > to see if there are differences.
>
> Ensuring that you have all the parts in the same version is usually up to
> the  distribution (and you checking package manager logs :-))
>
> Anyway, I think most of the issues boil down to different configurations,
> setups and similar factors - and in KDE PIM, that's almost an infinite
> number  of combinations :-)

Would it make sense to reduce the number of possible different configurations?

I bet I would not be happy with dropping POP3 and local maildir support, but
maybe at some point drop mixedmaildir resource or so… however one would need
to migrate away from existing mixedmaildir resources. I loved to use it tough,
cause… well I was able to use mbox for archival folders.

I still have the contents of my old mixedmaildir resource mbox archive files
here. I tried to import them as mixedmaildir resource two or three times, but
on each attempt mixedmaildir resource during synchronisation used up all free
memory and I had to abort the process due to excessive swapping and that was
with a 8 GiB machine. The laptop now has 16 GiB, so I may try again to at
least make is accessible again. However given the current circumstances, I
wouldn´t dare to more the mails in the mbox folders inside the pure maildir
resource.

But well maybe also other areas where it would be possible to deprecate stuff
that long has not seen any real testing by a developers. At least for POP3 I
believe that Laurent is using it. Does he still?

--
Martin