akonadi imap and vpn's

John Perry john.perry at usm.edu
Tue Jun 13 18:44:35 BST 2017

Hello

I'm having quite a bit of trouble w/IMAP in Akonadi.

One error often occurs when I use VPN, which I have to do while traveling
abroad. One of my IMAP accounts frequently refuses to work (status reported by
Akonadi: "Server not available") if I don't have the VPN activated. Then
again, sometimes it works fine without the VPN activated. The main point is
that when it doesn't work, switching seems to fix the problem.

The other error occurs with another IMAP. Akonadi reports,

    Could not connect to the IMAP-server [server name]
    Could not read the password: user rejected wallet access.

This sometimes starts working when I re-type the password... but not always.
Sort of opposite to the first case, if it's working and I switch the VPN, it
will typically stop working.

Most importantly, they rarely seem to work at the same time, restarting
akonadi and/or the agent never fixes it (it's more likely to crash akonadi
and/or kontact).

Any ideas what is going on here? Details on kmail, akonadi below my name.

regards
john perry

Fedora 25
Linux version 4.11.3-202.fc25.x86_64
kmail 5.4.3 (16.12.3-1.fc25)
akonadi 5.4.3 (1.13.0-102.fc24)
I'd list the kernel, too, but that doesn't seem to matter much

--
John Perry + University of Southern Mississippi
Department of Mathematics, Box 5045

Cogitor, ergo sum. -- Franz von Baader