Complete lockup in KMail

Peter Humphrey peter at prh.myzen.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 18:28:50 GMT 2017

On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 08:38:32 GMT Russ Kepler wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 7:46:18 AM MST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Hello lists,
> >
> > Now I'm completely stuck. I have a duplicate pair of messages in my
> > Gentoo- User folder that cannot be retrieved from the database. There's
> > no sign of them in the
> > ~/.local/share/local-mail/.Linux.directory/Gentoo-User directory. I've
> > tried to delete them in KMail. I've tried using
> > akonadiconsole to identify them, and to move them to another folder -
> > but it was only showing four messages from months ago. I don't know how
> > to use akonadiconsole to fiddle with the database.
> >
> > How can I get rid of this duplication? Until I do I can't make archive
> > backups or even read e-mails.
> >
> > This is kde-apps/kmail-16.12.0-r1.
>
> I was stuck recently after a semi-failed upgrade.  After messing with the
> akonadi database for a few hours I finally just shut akonadi down
> ('akonadictl stop'), removed ~/.local/share/akonadi ('rm
> ~/.local/share/akonadi') followed by a start ('akonadictl start').  The
> start will see that the database is gone and rebuild it from scratch.

Ah, now there used to be a trick whereby stoppint akonadi, removing .local/
share/baloo (I think it was) and starting akonadi again would have the same
effect. But with the current version(s) it has no effect at all. That
directory stayed gone when I tried it. Thanks for the tip.

> I ran into some strangeness - the filters all lost their destination
> folders, the order of the folders was off (only really mattered for the
> pre-defined ones, I think some code uses the index rather than the name)
> and maybe some other stuff.

Yes, if you look in the filter config file you'll see they're all named
filter0, filter1, ... or something like that. A quick look hasn't shown me
which file that is in the new version but it used to be called something
like kmailfilterrc.

> But it was a lot faster that my messing with trying to manually mount and
> upgrade the mysql db.

Indeed. I'll give it a go. Thanks again.

--
Regards
Peter