Akonadi disaster

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Oct 8 09:36:47 BST 2016

Am Samstag, 8. Oktober 2016, 06:37:20 CEST schrieb O. Sinclair:
> > I think that any mount of requesting "make KMail not use Akonadi" is a
> > complete waste of energy and time and has no potential to change the
> > situation of the one who does the requesting.
[…]
> For me this started with the Plasma5 version. In whatever version I was
> using in KDE4 I had very few problems, mainly to do with filtering. But
> right now I have ghost mails all over, certain mails appear in different
> folders, akonadi_imaap eat 20% of my CPU
>
> It constantly reimportant my accounts from the cache (I guess, it could
> be from the database).
>
> And as noted, Contacts search and so on went belly up again, dist lists
> are not working. Again.
>
> The basic problem is: it is a too complex and fragile chain that quite
> often breaks on an upgrade. And that is not how an otherwise fantastic
> mail client should work.
>
> no offence meant to the devs in any way but my hair is getting greyer by
> the day at the moment as I have to go on either webmail or my android
> phone to check that I am not missing out on important business mail.

My main question is:

Why do our experiences differ that much? Cause answering this may lead to a
way which you can use to make your setup more stable instead of going through
the same pain again and again.

I did not recreate Akonadi setup for at least half a year, I bet even a year
at least. Actually I don´t know when I last wiped my Akonadi setup. For my
private mail I think it was more than a year ago, cause… it is a *ton of work*
to get all the filters pointing to the right folders again (an issue I reported
in bugs.kde.org). For my work related IMAP with exchange, I may have had it
recreate database within the last year, but these times I usually just
akonadictl fsck ; akonadictl vacuum once in a while, if at all. akonadictl
vacuum is a nice way to defragment the database on BTRFS – not really needed
here as I use SSDs, but I am also thankful for any byte it reclaims as my SSDs
are pretty full at the moment.

So while its not perfect for me for reasons I outlined, I do not see anything
even remotely near the kind of catastrophic failures you see and I wonder why
that is. For starters I suggest you use at least the versions of Akonadi and
KMail I am using (see my other mail).

Thanks,
--
Martin