[kdepim-users] Notice to Yahoo users subscribed to this mailing list

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Fri Apr 25 11:14:33 BST 2014

Hi all,

a few weeks ago Yahoo changed their DMARC policy ("to proactively
protect our users from increasing email spam that uses Yahoo users’
email addresses from other mail servers"). [1]

This change breaks basically every mailing list in the world including
this mailing list ([2], [3]). Messages sent to this list (or any other
KDE mailing list) by Yahoo users will not be received by many
subscribers because of Yahoo's policy change.

To avoid excessive bouncing of messages rejected due to Yahoo's policy
change I'm following John Levine's advice (see [2]) and suspend posting
permission of all yahoo addresses. To do this I've enabled moderation
for all subscribers with a yahoo.com or yahoo.co.uk email address and I
will reject any message from those subscribers.

I'm terribly sorry about this, but even if I didn't reject those
messages they wouldn't be received by lots of subscribers to this
mailing list (including the sender himself/herself). DMARC support for
GNU Mailman (which powers this mailing list) is currently being worked
on, but for the time being it's not there, so we, the list admins, don't
really have a choice.

So, what should Yahoo users do?

Yahoo users who want to actively participate in discussions on this
mailing list should subscribe with a different email address.

Yahoo users who only want to read the messages posted by others, but do
not want to send messages to this list, don't have to do anything.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

[1] http://yahoomail.tumblr.com/post/82426900353/yahoo-dmarc-policy-change-what-should-senders-do
[2] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg87153.html