[kdepim-users] 4.13 upgrade, still akonadi trouble

Werner Joss werner at hoernerfranzracing.de
Fri Apr 18 14:02:53 BST 2014

today I bit the bullet and upgraded from kde 4.12.3 to 4.13 (in detail, this
was an upgrade from kubuntu 12.04 to 14.04).
most things went well, but then again, akonadi trouble:
kontact would start, but then complain akonadi not running.
one push button to start akonadi offered.
hit this resulted in some background activity, then again, same error message
with mentioned pushbutton.
an endless loop ...
so I killed kontact and started akonadictl from konsole.
saw a flood of messages, at the end a line saying akonadi crashed due to too
many errors.
WTF.
in the end, I deleted the folders ~/.local and ~/.config/akonadi after that
akonadi started.
of course, I had to redo my configurations all over again.
no data loss, luckyly, as all my resources are outside akonadi (email on imap
servers, kontacts/calendars on google etc...).
now everything seems to work again, but I still consider this whole akonadi
thingy not as robust nor user friendly, especially in case anything goes
wrong.
what a mess.

Werner