[kdepim-users] Moving KMail to another computer

Peter peter777 at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Nov 11 07:49:56 GMT 2013

Hi,

1.  I'm wanting to move my Kubuntu to another computer, and have looked at the
docs on the KDE website, ...
http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Transfer_mail_and_settings_to_another_computer_.28or_another_user_account_on_the_same_machine.29

Are these documents completely up to date ?

The docs state everything under ~/.local/share, but there are lots of paths
there:

:~/.local/share$ ls
akonadi       backintime  gsettings-data-convert  icc         mime   recently-
used.xbel  sbackup    totem  ubuntuone         user-places.xbel.bak      vlc
zeitgeist
applications  contacts    gvfs-metadata           local-mail  notes  rhythmbox
telepathy  Trash  user-places.xbel  user-places.xbel.tbcache  webkit

surely ONLY the akonadi path, and not the others ??

2.   I had a note about "For the address book you also need
~/.local/share/contacts", however that path is empty, but will copy it anyway.

3.   Am currently running Ubuntu 12.04 (Kubuntu desktop), and wanting to
update to version 13.10 (saucy). The KMail version is

Version 4.8.5
Using KDE Development Platform 4.8.5 (4.8.5)

>From the package lists, it seems that Ubuntu 13.10 has KMail version of
4.4.11.2 ( 4:4.11.2-0ubuntu1: amd64 i386). How come I'm on an older release of
Ubuntu, but a later release of KMail.

4.  For KWallet, there is also   ~/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/kdewallet.kwl

5.   What about all the emails ? Do I simply copy them all into their
appropriate paths/folders, or do I use "Import Messages". All my emails are
single files per email.

 Regards,

Peter