[kdepim-users] Kmail not recognising alt identity

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 17 14:52:21 BST 2013

On 17/07/2013 10:50, Martin Skjöldebrand wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 July 2013 10.12.56 Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On 17/07/13 08:46, Martin Skjöldebrand wrote:
>>> I've set up Kmail to use two different identities. But sending
>>>  mail using my secondary identity still adds the primary email
>>>  address which is "not good". Any idea, what is wrong?
>>
>> We probably need more information about your setup.  Do you use
>> different folders for the two classes of mail?  If you do, check
>> the properties for each folder.  There you can set an identity
>> to be used for messages.
>
> Oh wasn't aware of that being an issue. No, It uses the same inbox.
> I only use it to check and reply on my organisation mail.
> (Defaulting to the default identity).
>
> I've got two gmail addresses, one private and one for the
> organisation I belong to. I use Kmail to POP3 both accounts to my
> laptop so I don't have to visit each on the web. I then want to
> reply to my private mail using the default identity, and
> organisation mail using my secondary identity. Or write mail with
> either. Even if I change to my secondary identity when writing and
> sending new email, the primary email address is used.
>
> Does it somehow use the dientity set in the inbox regardless of
> individual mailsetting unless I specifically select another folder
> with other settings? Testing that now.

It uses the default setting unless you specifically tell it not to.
There are at least two ways to do this -

1) Separate the mail into folders and associate an identity with each
folder.
2) Open a compose window and look at the View menu.  Select the fields
of interest to you (useful also if you use two different smtp
servers).  This will enable you to use a header drop-down to change
your identity when sending.  It will be applied to all outgoing mail.

This second one isn't automatic, but useful if you don't need to
change often enough to make it worth setting up longer term.  Also
useful if you want a visual check that things are as you expect :-)

Incidentally, it looks as though you (and some others) are putting
your address into the Reply field.  The intended use of that is where
you need messages to go to a different address than the one you use to
post - e.g. sending from work, but want the reply to go to home.

The problem with that is that it overrides the behaviour of mailing
lists.  If you leave that line blank the list software automatically
puts the list address there, so you don't accidentally get people
replying to you but not having the answers seen on-list.

Anne