[kdepim-users] kmail2 apparently losing mail while migrating to local imap

Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 19:19:05 BST 2011

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:55:30 +0200
Martin Steigerwald <Martin at lichtvoll.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 26. September 2011 schrieb Alan McKinnon:

> > > Unfortunately so far we couldn't reproduce the issue. We really
> > > tried it at the last PIM meeting and I will give a try once more
> > > as soon as I have time.
> >
> > It's probably not worth trying to replicate actually.
> >
> > I did have many problems with kmail2 over the months, but I was
> > using a config that had come a long way and been migrated through
> > many version. Some had even been reverted and done again, so who
> > knows what unusual stuff may have been living in it. Everyone else
> > that I ever found that had problems with kmail2 was in the same
> > position as I.
> >
> > Many people reported here and on the web that they didn't have
> > problems. I noticed that everyone who mentioned the state of their
> > config had either a clean start or migrated cleanly from a recent
> > version.
> >
> > Those are my observations and are anecdotal at best, they lead me to
> > believe that your unit tests are probably the best way forward to
> > find sticky issues still needing debugging
>
> So your recommendation would be to delete kmail configuration
> completely and recreate everything from scratch?

I'm not qualified to tell you how to proceed - I don't know enough
about how the migration works and what it needs. And if I'm honest I'd
have to admit I'm heavily biased against kmail2. But that's just me.

You should follow the advice from the devs who do know how the product
works.

--
Alan McKinnnon
alan.mckinnon at gmail.com