[kdepim-users] kmail2 apparently losing mail while migrating to local imap

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Sep 26 08:41:34 BST 2011

Hi,

Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 24. August 2011 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
>> Hi,
>
> Hi!
>
>> As part of migrating away from kdepim entirely, I've created a local
>> IMAP instance in Dovecot and configured this as a local receiving
>> account. It shows up in the left sidebar of kmail.
>>
>> kmail version      4.7.0
>> KDE version        4.7.0
>> Local folder       ~/.local/share/local-mail
>> local imap folder  ~/.maildir
>>
>> I've used this local imap trick for years when migrating, it always
>> works well. I should be able to drag folder trees, individual folders
>> or individual mails from kmail's Local folders to the IMAP account and
>> have the original mails be moved. It does not appear to work with
>> kmail2 properly.
>>
>> Dragging items to the IMAP folder makes them appear in kmail's display
>> in the correct place and they can be read. However, the originals are
>> no longer in ~/.local/share/local-mail and do not appear in ~/.maildir
>> either. They seem to have been deleted off disk.

Unfortunately so far we couldn't reproduce the issue. We really tried it at
the last PIM meeting and I will give a try once more as soon as I have time.

> So I wonder is loosing mail with KMail 2 some experiences of very few
> users or is it more wide-spread? What about the idea to import instead of
> migrate?

Currently I'd suggest that way. Just ignore the migration and create the
accounts again.

> Would KMail 2 work with my current Akonadi SQLite setup at all? How to
> migrate if not? I bet there isnĀ“t much to migrate as only contacts data is
> cached yet.

I am strongly suggest against using SQLite for Akonadi. My number of gray
hair grew until I realized that my distro patched Akonadi to default to
SQLite. There is no migration path between database backends, so your only
solution is to change the backend and import everything again. What you will
loose is meta information stored in the cache ("real" data will not be
lost). If you already had KMail2 set up and used filters to move mail
around, you'll have to reconfigure the filters (basically the destination of
moves).

> How will Akondi work in NFS based environments? I bet a central database
> server is a requirement there.

I can't comment how MySql performs on NFS.

I hope we will find the cause of data loss soon. There were already fixes in
maildir and mixed maildir resources, one fixed a data loss when downloading
POP3 mails, but as I said so far we couldn't reproduce the copy/move data
loss between folders.

Andras