[kdepim-users] Re: kmaill sent-mail folders.

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 25 20:46:43 GMT 2011

Hi Alessandro,

I'm replying to the mailing list so that others can probably make
further suggestions.

On Tuesday 25 January 2011, Alessandro wrote:
> Dear Ingo,
>
> thanks for you help, first of all.
> I forgot to say about the running versions; they are the one that you
> guessed (kmail 1.13.15 and kde sc 4.5.3)
>
> The folders too are the one you guessed, but there are not files,
> even when kmail is running.
>
> The account type is disconnected imap.
>
> I have lost completely the kmail folder, and i would like to recover
> the mails from a backup.
> I was able to recover the inbox mail from gmail, but since i wrote
> all my mails directly from kmail none of the sent mails is stored in
> google web servers.

A tip for the future: Add yourself as BCC to all messages. (You can do
this in the Identity configuration in KMail.) This way all messages you
send will be archived in your gmail account.

> then i was thinking: if i find the sent mails files, i could simply
> move them from the backup!

The data of disconnected IMAP accounts are stored under
~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/dimap

The data of a specific account is stored in a directory called something
like .1234567890.directory (where 1234567890 is just an example). But I
don't think you will find a sent-mail folder there because gmail doesn't
seem to have a sent-mail folder.

If in your backup ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail is empty then your backup
seems to be incomplete and your sent-mail folder is most likely gone.
Sorry.