[kdepim-users] Re: Syncing data between computers

Martin (KDE) kde at fahrendorf.de
Sun Feb 6 14:39:51 GMT 2011

Am Sonntag, 6. Februar 2011 schrieb Ecaroh:
> Hello!
>
> Am Samstag 29 Januar 2011 schrieb Martin (KDE):
> > Call me paranoid, but I don't want my data spread around in the
> > world. So dropbox is no option in general. This may be an idea
> > for special subfolders where I want to share data with a bigger
> > audience, but not for the whole home directory.
>
> There is one excellent sync solution: Unison. Unfortanetly the code
> is not maintained anymore. But to be fare, i do not miss anything.
> In terms on not reinventing the wheel, have you had a look on it?

Yep, I tested unison but had minor problems with it. I didn't get
unison to keep timestamps and I had some other little problems I don't
remember.

> > My main problem is the hen and egg one. I have to sync before any
> > kde or other program was started. otherwise config changes done
> > on another computer wont be used. And I don't want a second
> > password dialogue for the storage. Syncing of data has to be
> > done completely in the background (rsync via ssh at login and
> > logout - this is really similar to how windows does it).
>
> As far as i know from the early days of X you can put your
> favourite sync script in the first X startup script which is
> processed before other things come up.

I tried xinitrc for this, but had some problems as well. But startkde
script offers you an option to run things before anything other of kde
was started (.kde/env) and vice versa at logout (.kde/shutdown) so I
used this. Advantage is that it can be easily disabled by users (if
ever needed).

> > I currently sync home folders only. All other files user may use
> > from the server will be either accessed via VPN or must be
> > synced in an extra step. But with this I have another problem:
> > How can I sync the permissions without being root?
>
> Depends on the files. Use sudo, make ssh keyless as root or create
> another user account for sync purposes.

Sudo is one option. All solutions I have in mind have advantages and
disadvantages. The one with the least disadvantage will win.

Martin