[kdepim-users] How do I backup a user's PIM data

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 9 14:52:18 BST 2010

On Thursday 09 Sep 2010 13:30:18 David Goodenough wrote:
> I had a problem recently for which the only reasonable cure was to
> delete .kde, or rather replace it with a new one.  But the same could
> occur if I was moving from one machine to another, or replacing the
> hard drive in a laptop.
>
> I found that I had to copy all manner of bits and pieces across to get
> all the functionality of kdepim up and running again, but I still missed
> and had to recreate some.
>
> This problem will only get worse with the introduction of the database
> based Akonadi and more bits get moved into the DB.  And of course
> during the migration what needs to be copied and from where will change.
>
> Would it be a good idea to have a backup/restore utility which mirrors
> the current layout and produces a complete and comprehensive backup
> of all current features of kdepim?

http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Transfer_mail_and_settings_to_another_computer_.28or_another_user_account_on_the_same_machine.29
gives you all the information you need, if read in conjunction with
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi_and_AddressBook - that is as long as you are
still using the version of KDEPIM that ships with KDE 4.4 and 4.5.  If you
have installed the betas for KDEPIM2 you will have to guess the implications,
for now, until the page gets updated.

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group