[kdepim-users] Sort Order in KDE-PIM

Bob Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Thu Mar 25 21:09:41 GMT 2010

On March 24, 2010 02:25:18 am Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 March 2010 22:02:40 Robert Smits wrote:
> > And while it may be "technically correct" for lexographic sorting to work
> > this  way, from a human point of view it's wrong and annoying.
>
> As long as alpha- and numerical data is mixed in one field this is bound to
>  be a problem.  Personally I've always believed that numerical data should
>  be in a separate field.  This isn't a new situation.  You are saying that
>  logic and reason are wrong because someone made a bad decision about how
>  your data is stored.  You are entitled to your opinion.  I just don't
>  share it.
>
> Anne

I agree that it would be nice if alpha and numeric data were not mixed in
names of organizations, but they frequently are, and whether or not they are
is not up to those of us using kaddressbook.

I'm happy there is a fix, I've added a wish to have it implemented, and while
I'll advocate for the change please don't make this a larger issue. I'm not
saying logic and reason are wrong, I'm saying that it is illogical and wrong
to sort names in a way that lists names containing numbers out of their
natural sequence.

To me this is annoying. I wish it were fixed. Notice, now, I'm not demanding
it be fixed, I'm wishing. It obviously doesn't annoy you. Fine.
Robert Smits Email bob at rsmits.ca